Chux Trux Launches 2018 SEMA Show Truck Build – “Lo Tech”
Chux Trux is doing what very few Kansas City custom shops can claim. They are building a project vehicle for the 2018 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, Oct. 30 – Nov 2, 2018. Lots of businesses want to do a build for the SEMA show, but unless you are a manufacturer who is exhibiting in the show, it’s very hard to secure a spot in the show.
As part of our build, we’ve partnered with the North Kansas City School District’s automotive tech department to include their advanced students as part of the build. We feel it’s important to get today’s young adults interested in the automotive aftermarket and show them an additional potential career path outside of the normal automotive repair world. The students will install many of the critical components under the supervision of their instructor, Jack Stow. Jack has been a friend of Chux Trux for years and has a critical eye for detail that matches up with what Chux Trux installers have ingrained in them. These students will also be promoting the build online, creating videos and much more.
The truck will be part of the Truck Hero, Inc., display. Their booth at the SEMA show is almost 20,000 sq. ft. making it the largest display in the truck hall. Truck Hero owns 12 of the biggest brand names in the industry, including Undercover Tonneau Covers, Extang Tonneau Covers, Husky Liners, BedRug, TruXedo and many others, all of whom will be represented at SEMA.
Our project truck is a unique one. Our stock truck is a 2017 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 with a 3.5L Ecoboost twin turbo engine and Ford’s new 10-speed transmission. Unlike most 4-wheel drive trucks that get lifted for the SEMA show, this one will get a sport truck handling package while retaining full 4-wheel drive capabilities. Given the high tech nature of the vehicle and the lowered stance we're giving it, we decided to title it "Lo Tech".
Plans for the truck are wide-ranging from some extreme exterior modifications to some rarely seen performance mods. These include:
- Snow Performance - Water / Methanol injection kit
- Edge Products - CTS2 computer tuner & monitor
- Edge Products - Amp’d Throttle Booster
- Odyssey Battery - High-performance AGM battery
- Mishimoto – Intercooler
- Mishimoto - Radiator expansion tank
- MBRP - Hot & cold side intercooler pipe kits
- Design Engineering (DEI) - Intercooler water sprayer
- Design Engineering (DEI) - Intercooler CO2 chiller
- Design Engineering (DEI) – Turbo blankets
- JLT Performance - Oil separator
- aFe Power - Dual air intake
- TurboSmart - Blow off valve
- TurboSmart – Boost Tee boost controller
- ALEA – Custom designed leather seating
- Built Right – Underseat organizer
- Built Right – Rear seat fold down release kit
- E&G Classics - Center console vault
- Husky Liners - Custom fit floor liners
- Husky Liners - Under-seat storage
- AutoMeter – Wi-Fi gauge package
- Carbon fiber dash kit & more!
- BedRug - Truck bed liner
- Striker Trucks - Custom grille, bumper cover, and custom roll pan
- Billet Badges – Custom made grill emblems
- Built Right – Bed panel rack system
- Air Design - Tailgate spoiler & fender vents
- RK Sport - Ram Air Hood
- Extang - Prototype tonneau cover
- Undercover - Swing Case
- EGR - Cab spoiler
- Fastway Trailer – Polished aluminum adjustable ball mount
- Curt Mfg – Hitch mounted license plate mount
- All Sales Mfg. – Billet license plate frames & antenna
- 2-Tone vinyl wrap & more!
Suspension and Handling Upgrades
- Bell Tech - 3” front / 5” rear lowered suspension kit
- AirliftSuspension- Slam Air airbag system with auto levelers
- Hellwig - Front & rear anti-sway bars
- Niche Wheels - 22” RS10 forged wheels
- Toyo Tires – Proxes ST tires
- McGard – Black coated wheel lock and lug kit
- PowerStop – Extreme Big brake kit
- G2 Axle - Rear differential cover
- Calvert Racing - CalTracs Traction Bars
- Diode Dynamics LED light bars, accent lights, and bulbs
- Rigid Industries LED fog & driving lights
- SwitchPros – Switch panel power system
- PIAA – RF Series 18” Ion Fog LED
- Redcat Racing – 1/12th Scale brushless R/C truck wrapped to match ours
- Kicker & Polk Audio - upgraded speakers
- Power Podz – 12volt jump starter & USB power port
Our F-150 will have many small details that may not jump out to the average person but will be noticeable to enthusiasts with an eye for details. For example, the front bumper mounts will be lowered 3” to accommodate the oversized Striker Trucks grille shell and bumper cover. It’s subtle, but a major modification all at the same time.
Click the links above for more info on each of the products we’re adding for our build!