What's the Best Advice Dad Has Ever Given?
Father knows best. Doesn’t he? Whether you got fatherly advice from your dad, grandpa, uncle, older brother, or Mike Brady from the Brady Bunch, chances are you’ve forgotten most of it. Sure, you remember bits and pieces or maybe you can remember that one thing your dad told you that stands out the most. Either way, we’ve put together a list of fatherly advice that the coolest, wisest, grooviest dad would tell you if he got the chance.
- Work smarter, not harder.
- Ask for forgiveness, not for permission.
- A man is only as good as his word; stand by your word and be a good man.
- Always shake a man’s hand as if you’re in a competition. A soft handshake is a sign of a weak man.
- Make friends first, do business later.
- Your daughter is going to marry a man like you. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
- Always wear clean underwear.
- Don’t put things off till tomorrow when you can get them done today.
- Treat your girlfriend or wife like your mother.
- Always look a person in the eye when you talk to them.
- Go for the women you consider “out of your league.” You’ll surprise yourself.
- Don’t eat yellow snow.
- A small amount of every paycheck should go into a savings account.
- Call your parents every week.
- Buy a plunger before you need a plunger.
- Exercise makes you happy. Run, lift and play sports.
- Never leave a pint unfinished.
- If you aren’t confident, fake it, it will come.
- Never lend anything you can’t afford to lose.
- Buy high quality tools so you only have to buy them once.
- Go with the decision that’ll make for a good story.
- Nice guys don’t finish last. Boring guys do.
- Find your passion and figure out how to get paid for it.
- Never stop learning.
- No matter their job title or status in life, everyone deserves your respect.
- Don’t change yourself just to make someone happy, unless that someone is you.
- No one is on their deathbed wishing they spent more time at work. Enjoy your life.
- The sun will always rise and set again tomorrow.
- Don’t worry about finding the right girl. Concentrate on becoming the right man
- And finally, if you want the girl, you’ve got to drive the coolest car.
These little nuggets are pure gold and you’ll find yourself referring to them daily. Or at least on occasion. Whether your Dad told you these things or you only wish he had, they’ll get you through the tough days. So go, live life to the fullest, don’t look back, have no regrets and don’t worry about a thing, because everything usually works out alright.
We’d love to hear some of the fatherly advice you’ve been given or maybe some that you’ve given to others. Comment below to teach us your words of wisdom.